Saturday, August 3, 2024

COLOR BLOCK CAFE CARD

Welcome to Stampin' With Friends - Inspiration from Around the World Blog Hop.  This week we can choose our own project.  Here's a color block design.  Keep reading to see where we created this and why its called the Cafe Card.  

                                                  

        


                                           

I've had the opportunity to go back to Rare Earth Cafe' where my card class - Card Connoisseurs - started in April of 2021.  A few friends told me they could never make the beautiful cards that I did. Instead of trying to convince them, I planned the class for these three friends to show them basic techniques that to make their own cards.  Also at this time, the cafe' was just starting to open again after the closures relating to the virus, and the owner at that time, had hosted some other events for me several years back.  So I asked if we could meet there, then order lunch. She said yes. It would bring her business, and provide a public space for my friends and I.


And now 3 1/2 years later, the new owner of the cafe' is opening the cafe after hours for community events - free of charge, but menu beverages or desserts are available to order.  So besides this being a celebration of my Card Connoisseurs class, getting together at this cafe is also a thank you to the new 19 y.o. owner/chef for being community minded as well as creating an atmosphere of enjoyment and good food. 

I've called this the COLOR BLOCK CAFE CARD to celebrate our class at the cafe' and to use just a few supplies to produce prints for cards - like I once did for my first class. Only one of the three friends have continued in the class - one of the others has health issues and one has returned to Canada, her homeland for her husband's health needs. 

Here's my original designs on water color paper.

                                     

                                      

Like any technique, I suggest to practice. I also advise, especially to beginners, not to plan that the first print you make will be successful and can be assembled onto a card in 10 minutes so you can grab it and run to your event.   

In the class, I gave each person a 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" piece of Basic White cardstock to practice this color block technique, and a water color paper layer, cut to size. 

Choose 3 colors of water based markers that will coordinate with your stamp. (You could use Stampin' Up! Blends - alcohol based markers and 71% rubbing alcohol instead of water based markers and water, but I didn't try that for this project.)  I used the Spotlight on Nature (back in stock on August 16, 2024) the stem of flowers and leaves. 


I chose the colors of Petunia Pop (2024 In-Color, purple), Daffodil Yellow, and Granny Apple Green.  You can use any combination of shades as I did with the blues of my sample above.  Remember that this water color technique is art, so your stamped image on top of color(s) doesn't have to be realistic.

With a stamp block and 3 water based marker (Stampin’ Write) colors, scribble a ½ inch space with each color, across the block, leaving a small space between colors. Immediately spritz lightly with water, then stamp the ink on the paper. With Basic White card stock, make sure not to spritz too much water as the paper will curl and distort too much.


When you lift up the stamp block, some of the ink may blend and puddle.  With the edge of the block, move the ink back across the paper. If you aren't happy with it, do it again.


Let the ink dry or use a heat tool.  Choose a die cut; punch art; or stamp an image across the entire striped space.  Add color to the stamped image or leave as is.  Add embellishments or ribbon.  Add a sentiment or leave blank.


The goal is to make a color-block with one, two or three colors, then stamp one image on top – and you have a beautiful, clean and simple card front.

This will be mounted onto a card base (1/2 of an 8 ½ x 11 piece of cardstock, scored in half at 4 ¼” and folded).

This is another easily made print.  Start out by using known color patterns, like blues for water or sky; green, red, yellow for Christmas, orange, purple, black for Halloween, purples and yellows for Easter or Spring, etc. 

Here are some finished cards from prints I made earlier today.   I could really spend a lot of time combining colors and images.  



With the above print, I added the Petunia Pop (purple) to the base of the flower on the left, yellow and green to the leaves where those colors were from the color block stamp.  With the print below, I also used the stamp in this set to add some splatter marks around the edges; but you could tap your marker on your outstretched finger to make splatter marks for interest. (If you do this, make sure to protect your work surface by using a box or garbage bin - the ink splatters all around.)


 Now look at the color wheel near the back of the Stampin' Up! 2024 Annual Catalog or view online here at www.cardconnoisseursb.stampinup.net and challenge yourself to try color combinations on opposite sides of the circle.  I'd love to see what you come up with!

Thanks for stopping by!   Click the catalog link above and visit my website to learn more about how you can get a discount while enjoying these beautifully coordinated products by Stampin' Up!  I'd love to tell you about becoming a Card Connoisseur!

We're happy you are hopping with us today.  Now click on the next blog to find more creativity with this week's Stamping With Friends - Inspiration from Around the World Blog Hop. 





3 comments:

  1. Beautiful cards. Watercolor techniques are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to try this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely cards Susan and a great technique x

    ReplyDelete