Monday, August 14, 2023

SHRINKY CHARMS - So Very Merry - 3D project

I've been cleaning out my craft cupboard - a sort of black hole of assorted supplies - to sell what isn't being used at my fundraiser/rummage sale Aug 18 & 19.  

Its the third year I've sorted my unused belongings and sold to raise awareness and funds for Cancer Care of my county. My goal is to raise at least $350, bringing my 3-year total donation to $1000.  This organization "provides patient services to those with a cancer diagnosis to assist with the catastrophic health care costs caused by this disease and its treatment."  DO you realize that you DO NOT need to be low-income to qualify for financial help?  If you're in my area, and reading this before AUG 18 & 19, 2023, please support this valuable need or click on the link to make your donation - its a small way of helping friends, neighbors, community.  TIA - thank you in advance - I couldn't help others without you!

What I found has inspired me - 2 packages of Shrink Film!! So when Lisa Bowden of Made to Create, a fellow Stampin' Up! demonstrator, showed earrings made with Shrink material, my creative mind for alternative projects with my beloved Stampin' Up! supplies went wild.

You could use these 3D projects for buttons, key chain art, zipper pulls, scissor handle charms (Karen Titus has charms hanging from the handle of her scissors), ornaments, earrings, jewelry and..............................

Supplies for today's project - click each link to go to the product

Stampin' Up! and other products  

Image stamp - Sea Turtle - Trucking Along truck  So Very Merry stain glass or an animal or flower - choose an image that will be recognizable when 50% or more smaller


Shrink Film - I used white   www.grafixarts.com

Scissors or punch to cut out your image

Stazon Ink - to stamp your image, so that it doesn't smear

Stampin' Blends - alcohol based markers, to add color

Stampin' Write Markers - water based markers, to add color.   I found it best to add the color before its heated. Both marker types - alcohol and water base - work.

Basic Black Marker - use the fine tip or black fine tip drawing pens (optional) to outline the image and retrace what might not have stamped or to redraw the lines after coloring the spaces

Hole Punch. - I've used a heart punch because its smaller than the regular hole punch

Take Your Pick Tool or Bone Folder with a tip -  to stabilize while melting it, choose a tool that can get hot and not melt. 

Surface tray - it must be able to withstand heat. Use an old cookie sheet or heavy weight card board. You could also add a layer of parchment paper over the cookie sheet though I have not tried this.

Heat Tool - I use my embossing gun.   Instructions with the Shrink Film include how to use an oven. I have not tried this.    I CANNOT stress enough - READ the instructions on the Shrink Film package. USE the products in a safe place on heat safe surfaces and tools. 

Step #1  Practice - cut a piece of the Shrink Film - a 3 inch square or circle.   Punch a hole on one end, not to close to the edge.   Stamp your image, color with both or either markers.  Don't forget to put your initials on the back - its your art!  I stamped the Stampin' Up! copyright and put my initials which I do for every card, on the back and its still readable though small.

Practice shrinking it down.  I hold on to the piece with my bone folder or take your pick tool, by putting it in the punched hole.

Practicing will give you an idea on how it folds up and attaches to itself.  I doesn't hold its shape exactly perfect.   

You can remelt it if done immediately, in the case of it not laying flat or being more distorted than I expected. 

Heres a few stamped images I used. They're shown at 100% size, then look at the size they shrink to, in the photo above.

SO VERY MERRY  - stained glass circle image

1.  Stamp in Stazon.   Use the fine tip on a Blend or Stampin' Write Marker to outline all image lines if needed

2. Add color with markers or try inks

3. Cut out or punch out your image

4. Punch a hold near the top - not too close to the edge - if your project will be a charm or jewelry

5.  Lay your project piece on a cookie sheet or chip board from a Paper Pumpkin kit or use an empty Paper Pumpkin box.  MAKE SURE to be working on a heat safe surface.

CAUTION: your project gets HOT - be careful when touching it.

6. Using a heat tool and a Take Your Pick Tool, hold the image through the punched hole so that it doesn't move away when you're heating it. You'll understand this more once you do it.

7. Move your heat tool around, not too close, to shrink your project. When it curls up on itself, keep heating and watch it open up and lay somewhat flat.

CAUTION: hot

8. Point your heat tool at corners that may not lay flat.   You really have to practice with pieces to understand how it curls and flattens.

Instructions on the Shrink Film explain how to use your oven or toaster oven; and to sand the shrink film before using - I did not do either of these on today's project. 

How about making charms for key chains, zipper pulls, scissor handles, buttons, and jewelry, out of your favorite Stampin' Up! images?   The possibilities?   Endless!   

SHRINKY CHARMS!    Will you try this?   Post your projects over on Face Book at Card Connoisseurs - Card Making with Susan Boback, our group for class and weekly LIVE videos.

Learn more about getting a 20% discount on your products, and special offers.  JOIN my Team - Card Connoisseurs - and enjoy the community of creativity together. Here's my link or click on the "catalog" tab on the top right column of this page.  I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks for stopping by!  Be Blessed! sb 




No comments:

Post a Comment